The name Bella is a girl's name of Italian origin meaning "beautiful". Bella is ranked #50 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Literary Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Everything ella, from Ella to Bella to Arabella, is red hot right now. Bella was one of the less overused examples, with the hint of a nice Old World grandmotherly veneer, until it became attached to Twilight's Bella Swan. Iif you're thinking of naming your daughter Bella, be aware that there are a lot of little girls whose proper names are Isabella, Arabella etc. who are called Bella.
In pre-Twilight literature, Bella Wilfer is the central character in Charles Dickens's Our Mutual Friend.
Mark Ruffalo, Billy Bob Thornton, David Boreanaz and Eddie Murphy are all dads to Bellas. A strong feminist namesake is Bella Abzug.
Bella was in use as far back as the thirteenth century, then disappeared until the eighteenth when it became fashionable.
Lists containing Bella:
- Baby Names That Mean Beautiful
- International Variations of Elizabeth
- If You Like Georgia, You Might Love...
- Baby Names with Uplifting Meanings
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Literary Names for Girls
- If You Like Ava, You Might Love...
- If You Like Eva, You Might Love...
- Vampire Baby Names
- Belles of the Ball
- Most Popular Names for Dogs
- Great Names for Big Dogs
- Most Popular Names for Cats